Duplex plastic fiber optic cable, sold by the meter
Secure connection: Fast routing, simple installation
The use of plastic fiber optic cable results in fully isolated connections of serial terminal devices. Thanks to the patented fiber optic connection they are quicker to install than any copper cable.
- Duplex cable for bi-directional data transfer
- 100% protection against interfering radiation
- Electrical isolation
- Lightning protection
- 980μm PMMA graded-index fibers
- Faster to install than any copper cable thanks to the patented fiber optic connection of the W&T interfaces
Transmitting data over a fiber optic cable offers two decisive advantages over copper-based transmission:
- 100% galvanic isolation:
No conducting connection between the terminal devices. This eliminates the problem of ground shift.
- No EMC problems:
Since there is no direct electrical connection, and therefore no current flow, fiber optics transmission cannot be affected by radiated noise, nor can the system itself generate electromagnetic noise.
The drawbacks to glass fiber optic cable are in the complicated, cumbersome and therefore expensive assembly of the transmission medium. The use of plastic fiber optics completely eliminates this problem.
For shorter runs, assembly involves no more than using a sharp knife to cut the fiber optic cable and insert the end of the cable into the automatically locking fiber optic cable terminal on the terminal device:
- Cut fiber optic cable at as close to a right angle as possible
- Trim the two lines of the duplex cable to about 2cm from each other
- Insert fiber optic cable into the patented receptacle of the W&T interface.
- Connect interface to serial terminal device
If you anticipate the need for additional fiber optic cable, we recommend the economical purchase of full 500m reels, model 81500 and assembling the cable yourself. Requirements of 250 meters or more begin to make this economically advantageous.
For frequent cable assembly operations or when longer transmission distances are involved, we also recommend use of a special cutting tool, which provides outstanding cut quality with little effort.
- PMMA step-index fiber
- Core diameter:
- typ. 0.14dB/m @650nm
- min. bending radius:
- 4.4mm x 2.2mm
- approx. 8g/m
- Operating temperature:
* Our offering is intended only for commercial users. We will be happy to refer private end customers to trading partners through whom our products can be purchased.